Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Unethical Indecency Made Legal


              
      Nowadays I have been noticing a lot of laws being passed that literally makes me tilt my head in confusion. The latest one on Monday was decided by The Supreme Court with a 5 to 4 ruling that those arrested for even minor violations may be strip-searched before being admitted to jail, saying safety concerns outweigh personal privacy rights. Meaning if you were pulled over for not signaling a turn or not having a bell on your bicycle and you were taken to jail, you could be subject to a strip search for contraband or weapons. As ridiculous as it sounds, it has been passed and the way I see it, cops already arrest people just for giving them a hard time but now they have the right to strip search you if they want, further humiliating and degrading you. I don’t think this law should have been passed because it threatens my own and many others privacies and dignities.  
                Justice Anthony M. Kennedy; one of those who supports the law; makes no sense to me at all when he states “The record provides evidence that the seriousness of an offense is a poor predictor of who has contraband and that it would be difficult in practice to determine whether individual detainees fall within the proposed exemption.” He went on further to describe how one of the hijackers on 9/11 was stopped and ticketed for speeding two days before the hijacking; so does that mean that we should be suspicious of anybody that speeds for the next major terrorist attack? His example does not justify his decision to pass this law. I believe correctional facilities should have the power to strip search but only under reasonable suspicions; I shouldn’t have to take my clothes off in front of anybody because one of my headlights went out.
                I have a hard time believing we have people in such high positions in our government with such irrational mindsets to be making powerful decisions that have to do with our way of life. I feel as though my securities are threatened and it makes me wonder for the future.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-upholds-jail-strip-searches----even-for-minor-offenses/2012/04/02/gIQAsZB4qS_story.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow, are you serious! That is such a preposterous law, yet the important ones are just set aside.

    ReplyDelete